Virtual Seminar Category 1 Core Lecture
July 22, 2021 at 6:00 PM ET
Topic: Social Media and the Contemporary Dentist
Presented by: Dr. Barry Schwartz DDS, MHSc (bioethics), FPFA, FACD
Since the advent of Social Media, it has grown exponentially to become ever-present in daily life, even amongst health professionals such as dentists. Social Media offers tremendous opportunities in highlighting professionalism, networking, and marketing. It can also open a “Pandora’s Box” of potential problems that can be career-altering and financially damaging. Professional boundaries can easily be crossed which can impact not only a dentist’s image but can compromise the image patients have of the entire profession as well. In this lecture, I will discuss some of the advantages and dangers inherent in Social Media use by dentists and offer strategies to protect privacy, confidentiality, and your professional reputation.
- To familiarize yourself with the various social media platforms
- To understand the professional implications with respect to Social Media and to integrate RCDSO practice advisories
- To weigh the advantages and disadvantages of the use of social media by dentists and office staff
Barry Schwartz, DDS, MHSc (bioethics), cert ADR, FPFA, FACD
Barry Schwartz recently retired, after 16 years, as Assistant Professor at Schulich Medicine & Dentistry, Western University, London Ontario and Course Director for Practice Administration where the focus was on critical thinking, interpersonal-communications and applied ethics. He received his DDS and MHSc in Bioethics from the University of Toronto. Dr. Schwartz was in clinical practice for 25 years. He has published many articles both nationally and internationally on the subject of dental ethics and is a frequent speaker at the ODA ASM and the Pacific Dental Conference. Dr. Schwartz has been recognized as a Fellow of the Pierre Fauchard Academy and a Fellow of the American College of Dentists for his contributions in dental ethics.
Core 1 Lecture Requirements:
- Registration is required to be eligible.
- This course qualifies as a Category 1 Core Course as designated by the RCDSO. CDE Credits: 3.
- You are required to attend the full session, if you arrive more than 15 minutes late, or leave the session early, you will not receive the Category 1 credit.
- You are required to complete a mandatory exam – You will receive a link following the lecture with instructions on how to complete and submit your exam upon completion.
- You need to complete the mandatory exam and submit it in order to be issued a Core 1 certificate.
- Your attendance during the lecture will be monitored to ensure that you have participated in accordance with the requirements mentioned above.
OAO Members - FREE!
OAO Members can bring up to 2 staff at no charge!
More than two additional staff - add $25 each (contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to register more than 4)
Non-Member - $100
If sign up to be a member, this seminar is included for FREE - Click here to join OAO now!
This seminar is sponsored by Align Technology. Click here to view video.